ast month, one man’s plans for a romantic candlelit proposal went somewhat awry, ending with his hotel room engulfed in flames — not flames of passion, actual flames.
The man surnamed Zhang had carefully arranged eight candles into the shape of a heart, hoping to woo his girlfriend into saying yes on the occasion of the first anniversary of the start of their relationship, according to a video news report from Btime.com.
After getting the arrangement just right, Zhang left the room to get his girlfriend, leaving the candles burning.
By the time that he had returned, his hotel room was now an inferno with thick black smoke billowing out of the window on the seventh floor and firefighters arriving at the scene. The local fire department in Zhejiang’s Huzhou city suspect that the blaze likely broke out when a candle either fell over or burned all the way down, igniting the carpet underneath.
Fortunately, the fire was extinguished after an hour and no one was hurt.
However, the accident may have severe implications for the couple’s potential honeymoon plans with Zhang reportedly needing to compensate the hotel for 250,000 yuan ($38,000) in damages incurred to his scorched room as well as to eight other rooms that were also affected by the fire.
It’s not clear if, in the end, Zhang’s girlfriend did accept his proposal, but hey, at least he didn’t do something truly catastrophic like proposing with lychees.