arlier this month, a man arrived at a hospital in the Hefei capital of Anhui suffering from some extreme abdominal pain. At first, he wouldn’t say exactly what the matter was, however, after a scan revealed a foreign body inside his intestines, the truth quickly came out.
It turns out that the man had been suffering from a stomach ailment and was told of a folk remedy involving the swallowing of a live Asian swamp eel. About 30 minutes after gulping down the animal, the unfortunate man began to have some serious regrets. After enduring 20 hours of extreme pain, his son finally got him to go to the hospital.
After learning about the situation, doctors quickly decided to perform an emergency operation, successfully managing to remove the 30cm long eel from the man’s pelvic cavity. Though the animal had wreaked some internal damage, the man is reported to be in stable condition.
Typically, those experimenting with this folk remedy are known to put the eel in the other way. Last year, a Guangzhou man nearly died after shoving up a live eel up his anus in an attempt to cure his constipation.
Back in 2010, a man in Sichuan died after a friend inserted an eel up his anus “as a joke.” The eel gnawed away at his bowels, causing agonizing injuries which were eventually fatal.
[Images via 合肥在线]