fter years of climbing the charts, Tsinghua University has finally been placed at the top of a university rankings survey for the first time.
According to a new study released by Times Higher Education (THE), Beijing’s prestigious university is the best in the Asia-Pacific region, surpassing the National University of Singapore (NUS) for the top spot. Tsinghua scores better than NUS in teaching, researching, and industry income (where it scores a whopping 99.8 out of 100), helping it make up for the disparity in “international outlook” (45.8 compared to 95.5).
Tsinghua ranked 2nd last year and 4th in the inaugural study in 2017. Other high-ranking institutions from Greater China include:
4) Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (Hong Kong)
5) University of Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
6) Peking University (Beijing)
9) Chinese University of Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
17) University of Science and Technology of China (Hefei)
19) Zhejiang University (Hangzhou)
21) City University of Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
25) Fudan University (Shanghai)
26) Nanjing University (Nanjing)
28) Hong Kong Polytechnic University (Hong Kong)
32) Shanghai Jiao Tong University (Shanghai)
35) National Taiwan University (Taipei)
Curiously, while universities in mainland China mostly continued with the trend of gradually rising up the rankings board, Peking University actually fell back to 6th from 3rd place last year. Out of 320 institutions included in this year’s survey, China accounts for 23 percent of them.
With the rise in reputation of China’s higher education system over the last decade, Tsinghua University has been gaining the most accolades. In THE’s World University Rankings in 2012, the school ranked just 71st. Now, it ranks 22nd.