Shanghaiist is looking for interns with an interest in journalism, new media and blogging. They should possess good people skills and have a talent for producing crisp, concise copy.
Interns will be expected to possess a wide variety of interests, as Shanghaiist covers a wide spectrum of life in Shanghai/China, including: arts, culture, sports, music, food, parties, events, business, human rights, politics, environment, LGBT issues, religion, technology, etc.
Someone well-versed in the Shanghai scene who would be willing to cover events around the city is a plus!
• Basic reporting experience
• Experience in writing and maintaining a blog
• Familiarity with or willingness to learn the workings of the Movable Type blog software
• Familiarity with or willingness to learn basic HTML
• Familiarity with or willingness to operate Adobe Photoshop, or some other picture editing software
• Good aesthetic sense
• An excellent command of grammar, spelling, punctuation and style
• Extremely detail oriented, organized, able to work under deadlines
• Proficiency in Mandarin, though not required, will be a plus
Basic responsibilities include fact-checking, copy-editing of stories submitted by our team of freelance contributors, researching on the internet and pitching story ideas.
Shanghaiist interns walk away with gained understanding of all aspects of online publishing, from the daily news cycle to reader interactivity.
Interns willing to work full-time may be paid a small honorarium. Part-time interns should be available to work at least 2 days a week. Internships last 3 months.
Interested candidates should send an email to [email protected] with ‘Editorial Internship’ in the subject line.